"We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." JA



Find musings on Perfecting Pao

Monday, August 23, 2010

'1L' of an Overstatement

My dearest reader,
Today was the infamous first day of law school. I sit here blogging after my first and only class for the day, and I must say, am feeling very Carrie Bradshaw. The first week has not been nearly as dreadful as everyone claimed it would be. It's actually been quite uneventful. I sit in wait for the avalanche of cases and briefs to roll down on my tiny person, but nothing comes. Let's hope it remains at the very least manageable.
Expect a post soon regarding my newly furnished apartment. It's not quite exactly the look I had envisioned, but it's a work in progress.
My first class today was Crim Law. It was at the crack of down for a sleeper like me, 8:15. And of course, I managed to wake up early enough to straighten my tresses and have 3 spoon fulls of cereal. Too nervous. I started on my 15 minute walk to the law school...and what do you know it, I've forgotten my book. So very typical of a first day, isn't it? So I run back to the apartment and pick up the 30lb Crim Law book (no exaggeration) which is just about the most annoying shade of red, and head back to school. At this point, of course, I'm cutting it extremely close, and enter class to find that the only seat available is in the galley of the class...ALL THE WAY AT THE BACK. AND I'm windblown so I don't look as polished as I'd like. I hate sitting in the back. It does nothing for my 'scholarly' morale. My head tells me, "you're in the back, with the slackers, the cool kids, surf net". My one reasonable brain cell tells me that's ridiculous. But I digress. I managed to carry on in class without any distractions. Needless to say, the professor did not touch on one single thing in the book. So the run back to the apartment was in vain.  No one was tortured with a cold call, and I could hear a sigh of collective relief when the professor asked for 'volunteers'. Mostly it was rhetorical banter, but I found it mildly interesting. Crim Law is definitely not my favorite class, despite numerous years of ardent Law & Order watching. The professor seems like a kind fellow, and has the vestiges of a charming southern accent. That should keep me amused for the first week.  I can only see one issue with this class, and that is, that being the ridiculous 8:15 start time, I can hardly keep my eyes open. I am dead sleepy. But yet somehow, the minute I leave class, I'm cheery and as chipper as a chipmunk (which there are a million of) On a more serious note, I do feel that the vibe at ND is quite more humanitarian and merciful, insofar as the professors are concerned, than at other schools. This is definitely a good thing.

I'll keep you updated on my first week. I'm actually done with class for today because my only other class for the week is canceled. Fan-tas-tic! I'll get ahead on reading. For now, I'm going to attempt to employ the Miller briefing method from LSC. Let's see how that fares.


Yours truly,

Pao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment